Vive La France & Vive Low-Carb Toasties
This French Cafe/Bar snack is long overdue its Lo-Dough makeover and we are glad to report that it tastes INCREDIBLE. Lo-Dough, Cheese, Ham, Creme Fraiche and more cheese, all topped with an egg - there's nothing much not to love! If you are looking for something tempting to make for brunch, this could well be the one for you - it's quick and simple too - ready in a matter of minutes.
The Croque Madame is a variant of the Croque Monsieur (just the ham and gruyere cheese sauce combo), the variant being a poached/fried egg being served on top. For us, the egg is a very welcome addition, the soft yolk adding extra flavour and richness to the dish! Other variants include the Croque Provencal (added tomato), Croque Norvégien (with smoked salmon instead of ham) and even the Croque Hawaiian (with a slice of pineapple).
Making a Low-Carb Toastie
The key to our low-carb toastie is to use Lo-Dough and to swap our the flour-based roux for a little creme fraiche (in this case half-fat, but the choice is yours). By making these two switches, your incredibly indulgent toastie clocks in at just 3g carbohydrate for the lot, as well as a very respectable 425 calories. It just so happens to contain just under a third of your recommended daily fibre intake - so Lo-Dough isn't just about what we reduce for you - it's about what you gain from it too!
Next time you're struggling to think what you might fancy for your breakfast/lunch, maybe give this one a go!
- 1 piece of
- 1 slice of ham
- 75g of Gouda, grated
- A heaped teaspoon of creme fraiche
- A teaspoon of dijon mustard
- 1 egg
- 2-3 sprays oil
What you'll need
This diet-friendly recipe is possible with:
- Preheat your toastie/sandwich maker.
Lo-Doughin half to create your base and lid.
- Add your dijon to the base, followed by thee ham, 2 thirds of the cheese and add the lid.
- Spray the lid with fry-light oil and place this side down into your sandwich maker.
- Spray the opposite side before closing your sandwich maker.
- Cook for approx. 5 minutes. Then take out and spread the creme fraiche and remaining cheese on the lid and place under a grill for a minute or two to melt the cheese.
- While this cooks, fry (or poach) your egg using a spray of oil. Finish under a grill briefly to set the white on top. Place on top of the toastie and serve.
Hungry for more recipes?
Join over 200,000 subscribers in receiving new recipes, tips, offers and a whole lot more.