This low-carb pastry dessert is a saviour for those on keto and low carb diets. If you are on a low calorie diet, this can be hacked to suit you too!
This silky egg custard tart topped with cream and strawberries is just the thing for those of you opting for a low-carb/keto diet. Pulling out the carbs (swapping pastry for Lo-Dough and sugar for erythritol) and upping the fats with good quality dairy and eggs, gives you the perfect low carb, high fat, medium protein ratio.
The combination is utterly delightful - a taste of summertime. Strawberries and cream? Who's for tennis?!
- 1 piece of
- 2 large eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 165ml of single cream
- 25ml milk
- 70g of sweetener (erythritol)
- 1 vanilla pod
- To Top
- 60ml double cream, whipped
- 5-6 strawberries, sliced
- Small mint leaves to decorate (optional)
What you'll need
This diet-friendly recipe is possible with:
- Preheat your oven to 140c/Gas Mark One. In a sauce pan, gently heat up the cream and milk with the split and deseeded vanilla pod until just too hot to touch.
- While the cream/milk is heating, whisk the eggs, egg yolks and sweetener thoroughly.
- Pour the hot cream/milk over the egg mixture, whisking the whole time.
- Pour the custard mix back in to the original pan, but through a sieve to catch the vanilla pod. Gently heat for a little while longer, while stirring, just to thicken a little.
Roll out your
Lo-Doughflat between two pieces of paper found in the pouch and work into a 7inch tin.
- Pour in the custard mix and then place the tin in the oven and bake gently for 35-40 minutes. The custard should be set, but still have a bit a wobble.
- Allow to cool on a rack and once cooled enough place in the fridge for at least an hour before serving. Once cool, top with the whipped cream and decorate with the slice strawberries and mint.
Hungry for more recipes?
Join over 200,000 subscribers in receiving new recipes, tips, offers and a whole lot more.