Vegetarian? This Lo-Dough Nut Roast En Croute is exactly what the doctor ordered. Nut Roast is the ultimate vegetarian's roast of choice and for many people, Christmas or Sunday Dinner wouldn't be the same without it. As for meat eaters? We know a good handful of people who would choose nut roast over turkey any day of the week.
It's high time we give nut roast the respect that it deserves.
Much healthier than a conventional recipe, this nut roast replaces the pastry with Lo-Dough and makes use of the aromatic taste of roasted mixed nuts, dried cranberries and chestnuts.
- 4 pieces of
- 1 onion peeled, finely chopped
- 2 carrots peeled, finely chopped
- 1 stick of celery, finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- 200g finely chopped chestnut mushrooms
- 150g chopped mixed roasted nuts
- 100g dried red lentils cooked according to instructions on the pack and drained
- 20g dried cranberries
- 100g cooked chestnuts, broken up
- Frylight spray oil
- 1 beaten egg for basting
What you'll need
This diet-friendly recipe is possible with:
Lo-Doughfrom the packet, peeling away the paper.
- In a large frying pan, sauté the onion, celery, carrot and garlic until softened. Add the mushrooms and continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Now empty the contents into a bowl and add the chopped nuts. With a potato masher, mash the drained lentils and add to the bowl.
- Add the cranberries and chestnuts and mix thoroughly. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Place a large piece of kitchen foil on a baking tray. Place the
Lo-Doughon top then lay the contents of the bowl onto the Lo-Doughas per photo.
Fold both sides over and dampen the edges with water, pressing together lightly to seal and form a loaf. Baste the loaf with beaten egg and decorate with lots of stars cut from the leftover pieces of
- Lightly spray the tin foil with spray oil and wrap very loosely.
- Place in the oven and cook for approx 20 mins.
- Uncover and cook for approx further 10-15 mins until golden brown.
Hungry for more recipes?
Join over 200,000 subscribers in receiving new recipes, tips, offers and a whole lot more.