Nut Roast En Croute
Low-Calorie Vegetarian Nut Roast
Type: MainsPastry Suitable For: Low calorie
Vegetarian? This Lo-Dough Nut Roast En Croute is exactly what the doctor ordered. Nut Roast is the ultimate vegetarian's roast of choice and for many people, Christmas or Sunday Dinner wouldn't be the same without it. As for meat eaters? We know a good handful of people who would choose nut roast over turkey any day of the week.
It's high time we give nut roast the respect that it deserves.
Much healthier than a conventional recipe, this nut roast replaces the pastry with Lo-Dough and makes use of the aromatic taste of roasted mixed nuts, dried cranberries and chestnuts.
1. Remove Lo-Dough from the packet (peeling away the paper) and layout as per below picture.
2. In a large frying pan, sauté the onion, celery, carrot and garlic until softened. Add the mushrooms and continue cooking for another 5 minutes
3. Now empty the contents into a bowl and add the chopped nuts. With a potato masher, mash the drained lentils and add to the bowl.
4. Add the cranberries and chestnuts and mix thoroughly. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Place a large piece of kitchen foil on a baking tray. Place the Lo-Dough on top then lay the contents of the bowl onto the Lo-Dough as per photo.
6. Fold both sides over and dampen the edges with water, pressing together lightly to seal and form a loaf. Baste the loaf with beaten egg and decorate with lots of stars cut from the leftover pieces of Lo-Dough.
7. Lightly spray the tin foil with spray oil and wrap very loosely.
8. Place in the oven and cook for approx 20 mins.
9. Uncover and cook for approx further 10-15 mins until golden brown.