Low-Calorie Dumplings, Ready To Hug You From The Inside
Nourishing and warming - dumplings are the food of childhood memories and long autumn/winter nights - the ultimate winter warmer.
Using Lo-Dough crumbs as a flour replacement, these dumplings will surprise and delight you with their lighter-than-light texture, supreme flavour and satisfying post-meal feeling. The calories and carbs are almost negligible!
Savoury dumplings made from small balls of dough are part of traditional British and Irish cuisine. They are dropped into a bubbling pot of stew, or into a casserole. They sit, partly submerged in the stew and expand as they are half-boiled, half-steamed for twenty minutes or so, the bottom half soaking up the gravy. The cooked dumplings are airy on the inside and moist on the outside. Our dumplings are flavoured with cheese and mixed woody herbs (thyme and rosemary, as well as chopped parsley) to give a savoury and moreish flavour to accompany a beef stew. You can mix and match flavour accordingly - add tarragon if serving with chicken stew or dill and fennel for a fish stew.
Obviously, you need it thick enough to roll into balls, but to keep them light, make sure your dough is nice and wet - not too thick of a batter. As the water evaporates, what you are left with is a soft and pleasing texture, rather than the leaden cannonballs we remember from school dinners!
Other Low Carb Recipes
Low-carb dumplings are just one of many insanly low-carb recipe ideas we offer. Check out our other low-carb recipes today!
- 2 piece of
Lo-Dough, whizzed to fine crumbs in a processor
- 1 large egg yolk
- 40g of grated mature cheddar
- A tablespoon of chopped mixed thyme, rosemary and parsley
- 80-100ml of water
- Salt & pepper to taste
What you'll need
This diet-friendly recipe is possible with:
- In a mixing bowl, combine the Lo Dough crumbs, the cheese, the herbs, the egg yolk and the water. Mix well - remember - the mix should not be too dry, or your dumplings will be heavy. Roll into 6 individual balls.
- Take your hot stew from the oven 20 minutes before the end of cooking and add the dumplings on top - half in and half out of the stew.
- Cover loosely with foil and cook in a preheated, moderate oven (approx. 180C/356F/Gas 4) for 20 minutes. Serve with side vegetables of your choice.
Hungry for more recipes?
Join over 200,000 subscribers in receiving new recipes, tips, offers and a whole lot more.