How To Make Easy Low Carb Doughnuts
Low-carb doughnuts? Simple recipe? Amazing Taste? Have we got your attention?
Doughnuts and low carb diets don't often find themselves in the same sentence. Lo-Dough bases are an incredibly versatile ingredient and a quick blitz in a food processor turns it into a baking ingredient that opens up countless culinary opportunities.
The doughnut recipe goes like this:
• 1 piece of Lo-Dough, blitzed to fine crumbs
• 1 large egg, beaten
• 30ml of semi-skimmed milk
• 2 dessert spoons of sweetener
• A level teaspoon of baking powder
This needs briefly mixing together, before putting into a silicone doughnut mould (available online).
This amount of mix will make 3 doughnuts. When filling the mould, don't fill right to the top as the mix will rise and expand a little. They will take around 15 minutes in a preheated oven at 180°C/356°F to cook. Once cooked, take out to cool. At this point, each undressed doughnut will be 42 calories and contain just 1g of carbohydrate - so you have plenty of room to play with on indulgent toppings.
We went with:
- White chocolate and sugar-free 100s and 1000s (add approx. 100 calories and 10g carbs)
- Sugar-free salted caramel and toasted almonds (add approx. 133 calories and 1g carbs). For the recipe, click here.
- Rich, dark chocolate and butter ganache, with chocolate sprinkles (add approx. 180 calories and 6g carbs)
Alternatively, you could go with a sweetened cream cheese frosting - use natural food colourings to jazz them up. Or you could just drizzle with chocolate rather than totally cover to keep the as carbs low as possible.
If you are following a low-carb or low-calorie diet and are missing doughnuts, this could be the recipe for you!