Low-Calorie Sausage Rolls With a Spanish Twist
Our chorizo sausage rolls are to die for! The slightly spicy, smokey, garlicky sausage lends an amazing savoury punch to the proceedings. As ever with Lo-Dough, flavour is king!
By swapping out pastry for Lo-Dough, you are removing a huge amount of fat and nearly all the carbs usually found in a sausage roll. If trying to stick to a low-carb or low-fat diet, it's those qualities that normally makes pastry a no go area, or at the very least, a rare treat. Egg washed and baked Lo-Dough is a great pastry replacement. Just roll up your sausage meat (mixed with the chopped chorizo) in your Lo-Dough and bake.
A Simple Recipe For Sausage Rolls
One piece of Lo-Dough will make one standard size roll and 2 sausage roll bites. If you just wanted the one sausage roll, you could blitz and freeze the remaining Lo-Dough for use in any number of our crumb-based recipes.
Easy to make and ready in 30 minutes - you should definitely give these a go.
While they're cooking, why not knock up a batch of low-sugar onion chutney. It's a perfect match with this dish.
- 1 piece of
- 3 Heck chicken sausages, taken out of their skins
- 50g of chorizo, finely diced
- 1 egg, beaten, for egg-wash
- Salt & pepper
What you'll need
This diet-friendly recipe is possible with:
- Preheat your oven to 200C/392F/Gas mark 6.
Lo-Doughdown vertically into 3 long strips, with the middle strip being wider than the two edge strips.
- Mix the chopped chorizo with the sausage meat and divide amongst the strips. The larger strip will just be a standard sausage roll. The edge pieces will make sausage roll bites. Roll accordingly.
- Glaze with a little egg-wash and season with the salt and pepper. You can add chopped herbs or sesame seeds for decoration.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and the sausage is cooked through. For a even browner finish, repeat the egg wash once or twice during cooking .
Hungry for more recipes?
Join over 200,000 subscribers in receiving new recipes, tips, offers and a whole lot more.