Low Carb Hot-Wings
Type: Mains Suitable For: Gluten freeHigh fibreHigh proteinLow calorieLow carb
Gluten-Free, Low-Carb Hot Wings For Just 452 Calories
Whether just looking for a tapas-style snack to settle down with in front of the box, or as part of a fuller, nutritious meal (try serving them with a beautiful mixed salad and maybe some celeriac or sweet potato fries), these Lo-Dough coated wings will hit the spot. At 55g of protein, they also make the perfect post-workout snack too.
These wings are baked until crispy rather than fried, which dramatically lowers the fat and calorie content - using Lo-Dough instead of regular breadcrumbs or a flour coating, lowers the carbs and calories further, as well as ensuring they are gluten-free.
A Low-Carb Ingredient
Lo-Dough, when blitzed down to a crumb, becomes an incredible, low-carb, low-calorie ingredient. In this case, we have used it as a coating to crunchy chicken wings, but it could just as easily be used as part of a cake recipe, a pancake batter, or a fishcake recipe - and much more besides.
Here, we recommend giving your Lo-Dough 2 minutes in the microwave before blitzing - this will dry the Lo-Dough out and make it extra crispy. Then coat your wings in egg and then shake around in the crumbs (these can be flavoured with herbs and spices). Give a good spray all over with oil and bake (ideally on a rack) until golden brown and crispy all over.
Method1. Preheat your oven to 180C//Gas mark 4.
2. Season the chicken with a good pinch or two of the cayenne and some salt and pepper.
3. Add the seasoned chicken to a bowl with the beaten egg and ensure it is well coated.
4. In a separate bowl add the thyme to the Lo-Dough crumbs. Add the egg-coated chicken to the crumbs and shake to coat well. Press the crumbs on with your hands for a firmer thicker crust (They could now be kept in the fridge for a day if desired, ready to cook later on).
5. Spray each piece with a few sprays of fry light and put on a tray and into the oven. Around halfway through the cooking time, give them a few more sprays to help crisp up.
6. After 30-40 minutes, take out of the oven and allow to rest on a cold plate/board for a couple of minutes - this will make the coating even crispier. Serve with hot sauce or mayonnaise, depending on your preference